The Easy Way to Restore a SharePoint 2010 Content Database to a Different Domain.
If you are migrating your SharePoint site to a new domain or if you have parallel environments in another domain (e.g. for testing, development etc.) You may wish to move a content database and all its permissions to the new domain.
Here is an easy way to do it.
- Create a SQL backup of the source content database
- Stop the SharePoint services on the destination server
- In SQL Management Studio restore the content database back over the destination content database
- Start the SharePoint services on the server
- Run the user migration script by SharePoint Voodoo. WARNING:- Users need to exist in both the old and new domain.
- You may need to go into SharePoint designer and resave and republish your workflow, if you don’t you may get a ‘user not found’ when starting a workflow or accessing workflow settings
P.S. I doubt if this is the Microsoft recommended method! You could also run a content deployment from the source to destination server.