Monthly Archives: January 2012
If you are migrating your SharePoint site to a new domain or if you have parallel environments in another domain (e.g. for testing, development etc.) You may wish to move a content database and all its permissions to the new domain.
Here is an easy way to do it.
- Create a SQL backup of the source content database
- Stop the SharePoint services on the destination server
- In SQL Management Studio restore the content database back over the destination content database
- Start the SharePoint services on the server
- Run the user migration script by SharePoint Voodoo. WARNING:- Users need to exist in both the old and new domain.
- You may need to go into SharePoint designer and resave and republish your workflow, if you don’t you may get a ‘user not found’ when starting a workflow or accessing workflow settings
P.S. I doubt if this is the Microsoft recommended method! You could also run a content deployment from the source to destination server.
To perform a successful initial content deployment from a publishing site the destination has to be an empty site.
This is not to be confused with the <blank> site template.
I have had some success when picking the <choose template later> option in the site creation page in Central Admin but sometimes even this fails.
The only sure way of creating a blank site is to use the following stsadm command
STSADM.EXE -o createsite -url <site-collection-url> -ownerlogin <domain\username> -owneremail <email@address>
Users were having a very strange error where they were being continually prompted for login credentials and even when supplying them they would still not get access and their account would lock.
Interestingly this was not happening on all our SharePoint 2010 sites and only happening to users running windows XP with IE8.
I read many articles on DisableloopBackCheck such as this one from Spencer Harbar which also outlines the dangers, however this was not the issue for me.
Then I came across this blog by Lambert about Prompt authentication dialogue issue using IE8 to access SharePoint sites hosted on Windows Server 2008(R2), not quite the same as my issue but made me check my Kernel Mode Authentication for the site in IIS, mine was disabled as suggested in this blog but I also checked this setting for sites that were not having this issue and I found it to be ticked. I ticked it and the login prompts are gone after initial login.
This tick box is un-ticked by default for SharePoint 2010.
So there you have it, if you are having login pop-ups on xp client machines only then check out the setting below in IIS.
PowerShell ISE is a much more convenient way to write and execute SharePoint PowerShell scripts, but you have to perform a few extra steps after the default installation to get PowerShell ISE up and running.
Scot Hilier has written an excellent step by step guide in how to set up PowerShell ISE for SharePoint
Once you have done that check out this Powershell cheat sheet.
Now you will never need to login to ‘Central Admin’ again
Sometimes if a back up fails or for some other reason you SharePoint sites can site can be left quiesced and/or the site collections and central admin site will be locked.
Some of the symptoms of a quiesced or locked farm or site can be a failing content deployment, or users complaining that they can’t edit and have lost their permissions.
Unlike SharePoint 2007 you can no longer unquiesce a farm through central admin unless you add a custom solution such as the one from estruyf .
You have to use PowerShell. Here is the command.
stsadm -o unquiescefarm
Even after running the above command I have still found that some of sites (including central admin) are locked.
You can check you site collections and central admin site are not locked by running the following command
stsadm -o getsitelock -url http://<site>
You can update/unlock using
stsadm –o setsitelock –url http://<site> –lock none
If you go to your SharePoint site and your search box is missing then your search service isn’t running correctly here are things that I have done in the past to get it going
- Perform an IIS reset (quite often this gets everything going again)
- In Central Admin go to services on farm (http://<CentralAdminSite>/_admin/Server.aspx) and check your search service is running.
- In ‘Services’ on your server check that the search services are running.
- In IIS check that your App pools for the Search Service (and any others SharePoint Services) are running – none should have a little black square. If they are not, start them and check after a few minutes to see if they are still running, if not check the username and passwords they are running under (see 5.)
- In the app pool right click and select advanced settings then re-enter the identity name and password
- Check search scopes are set up correctly
- If all of the above fails you may have to resort to creating a Search Service Application in central admin. (http:// <CentralAdminSite>/_admin/ServiceApplications.aspx) – Remember to associate you Web Applications to this new Search Service once you have it all configured
Most of my daily working life is working with SharePoint 2007 and 2010, we have recently upgraded a clients external facing site from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010.
The information from the SharePoint community has been invaluable while surfing the highs and lows of SharePoint deployment and upgrading.
I will be using this blog to give back and ‘Share’ the sometimes ‘Pointy’ end of SharePoint, tips, tricks and some how to’s.