If you go to your SharePoint site and your search box is missing then your search service isn’t running correctly here are things that I have done in the past to get it going
- Perform an IIS reset (quite often this gets everything going again)
- In Central Admin go to services on farm (http://<CentralAdminSite>/_admin/Server.aspx) and check your search service is running.
- In ‘Services’ on your server check that the search services are running.
- In IIS check that your App pools for the Search Service (and any others SharePoint Services) are running – none should have a little black square. If they are not, start them and check after a few minutes to see if they are still running, if not check the username and passwords they are running under (see 5.)
- In the app pool right click and select advanced settings then re-enter the identity name and password
- Check search scopes are set up correctly
- If all of the above fails you may have to resort to creating a Search Service Application in central admin. (http:// <CentralAdminSite>/_admin/ServiceApplications.aspx) – Remember to associate you Web Applications to this new Search Service once you have it all configured
Most of my daily working life is working with SharePoint 2007 and 2010, we have recently upgraded a clients external facing site from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010.
The information from the SharePoint community has been invaluable while surfing the highs and lows of SharePoint deployment and upgrading.
I will be using this blog to give back and ‘Share’ the sometimes ‘Pointy’ end of SharePoint, tips, tricks and some how to’s.